- B.S. Elementary and Special Education/Edinboro University, 1994
- M.Ed. Curriculum and Instruction/Gannon University, 2004
- Ed.D. Literacy/University of Pittsburgh, 2009
What are the main focuses of your research?
Supporting students in using informational text in the primary classroom. Using the Gradual Release of Responsibility Model in Teacher Prep programs to encourage the use of GRRM in preservice teachers’ instruction
What specific courses or specialties do you teach, and/or what has drawn you to those specialties?
Literacy related courses, assessment informed instruction, and differentiated instruction in the elementary classroom
What is the most important piece of advice you give your students to help them succeed?
Educators have chosen a field that requires a commitment of life-long learning. My advice is that they always seek out research, guidance, and self-reflection to grow and learn so that tomorrow they are better than today.
- Kucan, L, Palincsar, A., Busse, T., Heisey, N., et al., (2011). Applying the Grossman et al, framework: The case of Reading. Teachers College Record, 118 (12), 2898 2322.
- Heisey, N. & Kucan, L. (2010). Introducing Science Concepts to Primary Students through Read-Alouds: Interactions and Multiple Texts Make the Difference. The Reading Teacher, 63 (8), 666-676.
- R.M. Bean, N. Heisey, & C.M. Roller (Eds.), Preparing Reading Professionals (Second Edition) (pp. 205-215). Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Bean, R., Heisey, N, & Roller, C. (Eds.). (2010). Preparing Reading Professionals: A Collection from the International Reading Association (second edition). Newark, DE.
- Heisey, N. Jenkins, K., & Panepinto, D. (2007). Dr. Shanklin Speaks, The Literacy Professional. A publication of the Specialized Reading Professionals Special Interest Group. International Reading Association: Newark, DE.
- Bean, R., Ezell, H., Heisey, N., Morewood, A., & Ankrum, J. (2007). Outcomes of On-line Professional Development in Pennsylvania, Fifty-Sixth Annual Yearbook of the National Reading Conference.