What is your educational background?
- Ph.D. English, University of Virginia, 1997
- M.A. English, University of Virginia, 1988
- B.A. English, Wheaton College (Ill.), 1985
What are the main focuses of your scholarship?
I’m a poet. My areas of scholarly interest include contemporary American poetry, American literature, and religion and literature.
What specific courses or specialties do you teach?
Poetry Writing, Creative Writing, Poetry, Modern Poetry, 19th Century American Novel, 20th Century English Novel, and others. I love writing, and I love poetry. I’m drawn to the 19th and 20th centuries since I am interested in how writers respond to a culture/world in which religious beliefs are fading and finally (for many) disappearing.
In your opinion, what is the most important piece of advice you give your students to help them succeed?
Love words and love the Word.
Please list a selection of your publications
- Things Not Seen (Wipf & Stock) – a collection of poems
- Heart Murmur and Still Life – poetry chapbooks