- Ph.D., M.S., Pennsylvania State University
- B.S., Kutztown University
- Horton, J. J., Seybold, K. S., & Welton, G. L. (2008). Social organizations as a path to self-control: Does religious participation promote character development? (White Paper). Retrieved from the Center for Vision and Values at Grove City College website.
- Horton, J. J. (2007). Honestly considering abstinence education. (White Paper). Retrieved from the Center for Vision and Values at Grove City College website.
- Thomas, H, & Horton, J. J. (1997). Competency criteria and the class inclusion task: Modeling judgments and justifications. Developmental Psychology, 33, 1060-1073.
- Dr. Horton is a frequent contributor for the Center for Faith & Freedom. His columns may be read HERE.
- Dr. Horton has mentored many student research projects including:
- Leduc, K., Crago, A., Crider, A., Washburn, C., & Horton, J. (2019, March). Effects of cold pressor stress on working memory. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, New York, NY.
- Tischler, K. Millward, M., Brake, M., Watkinson, C., Andrews, E., & Horton, J. The effects of visualization on performance: Guided and unguided. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, New York, NY.
- Hennessey, L., Currier, C., Buehler, M., Brooks, J., & Horton, J. (2016, March). The effects of status and mate choice copying on desirability. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, New York, NY.
- Croft, B. N. , DeMers, M., Haas, K., Terrana, K., & Horton, J. J. (2010). Children’s attention to rules in sorting cards. Psi Chi Journal of Undergraduate Research, 15, 8-12.
- Benedetti, A. A., Dawson, C. L., Staranko, S. L. Swanson, E. A., & Horton, J. J. (2009). The effect of display rules on the illusion of transparency in children. Modern Psychological Studies, 15, 22-30.
- Stites, E. L., Kennison, S. M., & Horton, J. J. (2004). Are boys really better at math: The influence of gender stereotyped scenarios on word problem performance. Psi Chi Journal of Undergraduate Research, 9, 119-125.
- Child development
- Marriage education
- PSYC 101 Foundations of Psychological Science
- PSYC 209 Child Development
- PSYC 322 Marriage and Family Assessment and Intervention
- PSYC 404 Advanced Research Methods
- Dr. Horton is active in the pro-life movement. He served for seven years on the board of Pregnancy Services of Western Pennsylvania (which is now Willow Women’s Center).
- One of Dr. Horton’s passions is spreading the word about the importance of good marital and premarital education. He is certified in the Prepare/Enrich program.
- In his spare time, Dr. Horton enjoys watching Australian football with his wife and daughter who is a 2015 graduate of Grove City College. It is not soccer or rugby. It is footy.
Read Dr. Horton's posts with The Institute for Faith & Freedom.