What is your educational background?
- B.S. in exercise science from Slippery Rock University
- M.S. in exercise physiology from University of Akron
- Ph.D. in exercise physiology from Kent State University
What are the main focuses of your research?
- The effects of exercise on brain activity
- Environmental stressors on exercise performance
What specific courses or specialties do you teach?
- Introduction to Exercise Science
- Professional Certification for Certified Exercise Physiologist
- Anatomy and Physiology I and II
- Research Methods
- Exercise Leadership
- Research Practicum
- Exercise Testing
- Exercise Neurobiology
- Environmental Physiology
- Nutrition and Health
- Sports Nutrition
What is the most important piece of advice you give your students to help them succeed?
I encourage my students to plan ahead and always ask questions on anything they don’t understand. This is incorporated into the classroom setting through unannounced biweekly quizzes. I encourage students to do faculty-student research. Currently, students are assisting in a research study that is assessing the effects of different exercise modalities on executive function in college-age individuals. I enjoy working closing with the students on this project and being able to teach them more about research.
- "Comparison of air-displacement plethysmography results using predicted and measured lung volumes over time," with Otterstetter, R. Johnson, K. E., Kiger, D.L., Agnor, S. E., Kappler, R. M., Reinking, M., Tessmer, K., Clinical Journal of Functional Imaging (2014)
- "Agreement between ultrasound and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in assessing percentage body fat in college-aged adults," with Johnson, K. E.,Miller, B., Kiger, D. L., Juvancic-Heltzel, J. A., Kappler, R, Otterstetter, R., Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging (2014)
- "The effect of acute moderate intensity exercise on the accuracy of air-displacement plethysmography in young adults," with Otterstetter, R., Johnson, K. E., Naylor, J. B., Krone, S. J., Kiger, D. L., Agnor, S. E., Kappler, R., European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2013)