- B.A., Covenant College
- M.Ed., University of Mississippi
- Ed.D., University of Pittsburgh.
Fields of Study
- School Leadership (Administrative and Policy Studies)
- Reading Specialist Certification (k-12)
- Beyond the Mandates of Pennsylvania Chapter 354: Evaluating, Qualifying, and Certifying Urban Pre-Service Teachers, with a focus on Elementary Literacy Instruction
- PNC Bank Grow up Great Grant $6,796.00 supporting the Midwestern Early Childhood Council. Research partners: Holly Boyce ’15 and Nichole Youngs ’15.
- PNC Bank Grow up Great Grant of $3,000.00 supporting the Midwestern Early Childhood Council. Research partners: Dr. Constance Nichols, Monica Godfrey ’13 and Kate Schaffner ’13.
- Heinz Endowment Grant of $5,000.00 to investigate and analyze data in preparation for a professional development early childhood symposium at Grove City College. Research partners: Dr. Constance Nichols, Jocelyn Blanton ’11, and Brittany Hayward ’11.
- Co-wrote Teacher Quality Enhancement grant proposal, work plan, and narrative for the Pittsburgh K-16 Council. Purpose: To increase collaboration and continuity between state higher education institutions and public schools by implementing a new partnership for professional development schools
- Co-wrote K-16 Consortium grant for student transition and diverse observation tracks. Purpose: To implement PRAXIS training curriculum in order to facilitate smooth transitions for teacher candidates between graduation and Pennsylvania teacher certification
- Hodge, J. & Scheffler, P. Positive Behavior Support: Pre-Service Teachers Support Pro-Social Behavior in Preschool Classrooms. Field Experience Journal, Volume 4, Spring 2011
- Blanton, J., Hayward, B., Scheffler, P. (2011). Summary Report: Heinz Grant Survey.Published and registered copyright, March 2011.
- Godfrey, M., Hodge, J. & Scheffler, P. (2010). Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports: Joshua’s Story Lawrence County’s ELTF Newsletter, Vol. 1, Issue 6.
- Evaluating the empirical electronically: Trends discovered from Head Start assessment data. Field Experience Journal, Volume 2, Spring 2009
- Scheffler, P. (2008) Beyond Pennsylvania Chapter 354: Supervising Urban Elementary Pre-Service Teachers Field Experience Journal, Volume 1, Spring 2008.
- Nichols, C. & Scheffler, P.S. (2013) Bridging the Gap: Building a Community Approach to Early Learning and Professional Development. Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators 42nd Annual Teacher Education Assembly, Oct. 23-25, 2013
- Bad Behavior Begone! Positive Behavior Support for School Age Children. ACSI International Christian Educators Conference (ICEC), Kandern Germany. March ’13.
- Facing Your Giants – Overcoming challenges in teaching. ACSI International Christian Educators Conference (ICEC), Kandern Germany. March ‘13
- Words Meet Numbers: A Match Made in Heaven! ACSI International Christian Educators Conference (ICEC), Kandern Germany. March ‘13
- Building Blocks of Literacy: Phonemic Awareness though Strategies, Kid Writing, and Children’s Literature. The Midwestern Early Childhood Institute held at Grove City College Feb. 1-2, 2013. Co-presenters: Drs. Constance Nichols & Linda Culbertson.
- Blackburn, G., Nichols, C. & Scheffler, P.S. (2011) Moving Teaching Experiences Beyond Borders: Local, State, National, and International Field Experiences. “Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators 39th Annual Teacher Education Assembly, October 27, 2011.
- Nichols, C. & Scheffler, P.S. (2010) “Strategic Planning Beyond State Mandates.” Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators 39th Annual Teacher Education Assembly. October 28, 2010.
- Hodge, J. & Scheffler, P.S. (2010) Positive Behavior Support: Pre-Service Teachers Support Pro-Social Behavior in Preschool Classrooms. National Student Teaching Supervision Conference, May 2010.
- Culbertson, L., Nichols, C., & Scheffler, P.S. (2010) “Building Blocks of Literacy.” Mercer County Head Start Professional Development Workshop. January 26, 2010.
- Scheffler, P.S. “The Power of Using Picture Books to teach Pre-K through Kindergarten mathematics,” and How to use Positive Behavior Support in Christian Pre-K and K-5 Schools,” ACSI Northeast Region Fall 2009 Educator Convention, Pittsburgh, PA., October 15, 2009.
- Mincey, D. & Scheffler, P.S. “The ABC’s of Promoting Pro-Social Behavior During FreePlay Activities,” NAEYC’s 18th National Institute for Early Childhood Professional Development Session, Charlotte, N.C. June 15.
- Amodei, M.; Johnson, L.; Mincey, D. & Scheffler, P. “Linking Behavior and Instruction to Increase Engagement using Positive Behavior Support.” Grove City College, Feb. 3, 2009.
- Scheffler, P.S. “Effective Math Strategies for Struggling Learners (grades 3-8) ACSI Mid-East Regional Conference, Cranberry, PA, November 2008
- Scheffler, P.S. “Using Children’s Literature to Teach Mathematics,” ACSI Mid-East Regional Conference, Cranberry, PA, November 2008.
- Scheffler, P.S. “Evaluating the empirical electronically: Practical uses of Head Start data,” Faculty Scholar Workshop, Oct. 29, 2008.
- Mincey, D. & Scheffler, P.S. “Positive Behavior Support: Understanding and Preventing Challenging Behavior.” Grove City College, Sept. 11, 2008.
- Scheffler, P.S. “Evaluating the Empirical Electronically: Practical Uses of Head Start Assessment Data,” NAEYC Professional Development Conference Spotlight Forum, New Orleans, LA., June 2008.
- Scheffler, P.S. “Evaluating the Empirical Electronically: Practical Uses of Head Start Assessment Data,” National Student Teacher Supervision Conference, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA, May 2008.
Research or Academic Interests
- Cofounder and codirector of the Midwestern Early Childhood Council and Institute
- Research interests include pre-professional teacher quality, positive behavior support, early childhood professional development and reading fluency.
- EDUC 323 Primary Literacy – Fall 2014
- EDUC 327 Math Methods – Fall & Spring
- EDUC 328 Children’s Literature and Language – Fall & Spring
- EDUC 343 Trends and Issues in Early Education
- EDUC 441, 442, 443, 444 Student Teaching